Rules: Commit to reading at least 5 books throughout the year. WWII should be the primary or secondary theme, and it doesn’t matter whether the book takes place during the war or after the war.
Timeframe: 1 January – 31 December 2009
My goal: 5 books
A huge thank you to Anna and Serena for hosting this wonderful challenge. With it’s own dedicated website and plenty of support from Anna, this was a joy to participate in. There were so many books to choose from and even if I’d spent the whole year just reading for this challenge, I’m sure there would have still been plenty left on my TBR list.
1. Austerlitz – W.G. Sebald 4.5/5
2. Resistance – Anita Shreve 5/5
3. Charlotte Gray – Sebastian Faulkes 4.5/5
4. The Garden of the Finzi-Continis – Giorgio Bassani
5. The Piano Teacher – Janice Y.K. Lee
6. Alone in Berlin – Hans Fallada
7. He Was My Chief – Christa Schroeder
8. Eastern Approaches – Fitzroy Maclean
9. Nancy Wake – The inspiring story of one of the war’s greatest heroine’s – Peter Fitzsimmons
10. The Eye of the Needle – Ken Follett